Monday 16 April 2007

Crossing Continents!

The Daring Cardmakers dare is set by Saffa this week. She's challenged us all to make a card to celebrate a festival from a culture other than our own.

I grew up in an area that was about as mono-cultural as it's possible to get but we had a headmaster at junior school who definitely passed for progressive back in that day and age! I've had a soft spot for the festival of Diwali ever since he cast me as the Storyteller for the morning assembly where we learned about the fesitval of light (hey - I was cast as Jesus too but that's another story!).

So, despite the fact several darers have already made some fabulous Diwali cards, here's my take on it

I wanted to use light as part of the card itself so I've cut the word LIGHT out of white textured card and put silver refelctive card behind the word. I layered white card onto silver for the strip at the side and made flowers out of drop-shaped gems (they came in a Secret Santa package - thanks Santa!) with tiny pink gems as centres for a bit of colour. I used a clear glaze pen to write Celebrate directly onto the card and finished off with a twinkly star. An absolute pain to photograph but hopefully you get the idea!

I had a go at something for a completely different occasion before this one but I wasn't that happy with it so I'm still deciding whether to pop it on here or not!

12 comments:

Sarah said...

I love this card! The simplicity of it really works!

Kathy said...

Oh this is lovely - I love the purity of the white and silver, with just the tiniest bit of colour to make it stand out.

Lynne said...

Beautiful card Joanne.

Gillian said...

Oh this is just so beautiful...
love your choice of design, it really has a 'wow' factor.. love it Joanne... well done!

Wendy - Anntaurus said...

This is really beautiful - I'm with Kathy on this, it has an overall message of Purity, fabulous.

Pearl said...

wow indeed ! beautiful !

Paula J Atkinson said...

Beautiful in its simplicity.
I love white is is pure.
Don't be scared of patterned papers. I used to worry how on earth I was meant to use them & they never feature heavily in my designs. however, once you choose some that are right for you, it will surprise you how much you like them. HOTP sara papers are my fav for cards as they are all matched for you in tones & patterns.

BondGirl said...

great card, I love the lightness of it and the silver celebrate word looks really effective

Di said...

This is so calming and peaceful Joanne.

Do put the other one up for us to see.

Rhi said...

Beautiful Joanne, I love the way you've done the text, so very fitting :)

Andrea C (Frog) said...

Very nice Joanne and fresh looking.

Andrea xx

Rika said...

Really beautiful!