Friday 15 June 2007

Raise it up

Oooh, I love embossing! Lythan has set this week's dare over at DCM and it's an embossing theme. Any kind of embossing will do! I've got a load of Cuttlebug embossing folders on order but they haven't arrived yet otherwise you'd probably have been overwhelmed by Cuttlebug textures. Instead, I've done two cards with some DIY embossing plates I made ages ago:



The Bundle of Joy sentiment is embossed onto pale pink cardstock with the trusty old corner rounder and chalk ink in Rouge swiped round the edge. I punched holes in the star, covered in lots of layers of silver sparkle embossing powder to make a 'button' and attached it with a bit of ribbon. A border of machine stitching and a bit of gingham ribbon finish it off.



Same basic techniques here but the embossing is on DCWV cardstock so I've distressed it a bit with a Silkimitt. The big flower is a Bosskut die and the little ones are the QK flower doodads. I used chalk ink and a freebie foam stamp to do the border pattern.

If you fancy the DIY approach all you need is some die cuts and a die cutter plus an embossing mat (or funkyfoam at a stretch). Stick your diecuts as you want them onto a piece of card stock cut to a size that will go through your die cutter. If you're using shapes made of reasonably lightweight card then you can build up a couple of layers to give it a bit more 'bite'. Then just plunk your cardstock on top, add your foam layer and put it through your die cutter. You can have any sentiment or texture you want and it will be unique to you. I've given mine a coat of paper varnish to give them a bit of protection but they'd probably be fine without.

22 comments:

Lythan said...

thanks for the tip - I love those cards!

Anonymous said...

great ideas Joanne thanks-and great cards as always!

Kaz said...

Lovely cards Joanne. I was wondering how you made your own embossing plates!

Kathy said...

Brilliant!

Now you've gone through this again I remember you playing with this idea ages ago.

The results are really good, I must have a go at this

Thanks for sharing (again!)

Leigh said...

these are both fab, love them both. Thanks for the tip too.

Sarah said...

Great tip! And great cards as well!

mum-on-the-run said...

Great cards, thanks for the info on embossing with die cuts. Have out it on my list of things to try!!

Gillian said...

Unreal... I'd have never know how to emboss with diecuts Joanne, thanks hun! that's such a fab tip!
Love your cards, they look Great!

Unknown said...

Great cards Joanne and fabulous tips. Thanks for those am def going to have a go myself.

http://freycob.blogspot.com

Rosie
x

Patsy Jackson said...

Great cards - love both of them. The baby one is so pretty. I too am a geordie btw (although I'm an ex pat in Lincoln now but wish I was still in the NE). Love your photos of the Angel :)

Paula J Atkinson said...

Beautiful cards.Love them both.

Wendy - Anntaurus said...

These are fab - love your clean style Joanne.

Dolly Mixtures said...

Love the crisp clean baby card. Thanks for the tip too - will have to try that out sometime. Angela

White Butterfly said...

beautiful cards!

All of my Todays said...

Great cards, simple but very striking.
x

Gillian .... said...

both lovely cards, thanks for sharing your tips too :)

Jane's Blogs said...

Very classy.

Love
Jane xx

Godelieve said...

Beautiful cards! I like the distressed look on the second card a lot!

Rainbow Lady said...

Lovely cards Joanne.
Thanks for your comments on mine too.
I will be in your neck of the woods next week.
Love Cynthia x

Andrea C (Frog) said...

Thank you for your lovely comment on my blog Jo, you have some lovely cards on yours, i like your little green men.

Andrea xx

Sam said...

Oh I love this...the colours, the masking, the flowers...yum!

Sam said...

Ooops. scrolled down a bit quick and didn't realise the two cards were on the same post! The top one's yum too!! ;o)