Wednesday 22 August 2007

Chalk vignette

A few weeks ago, I tried out the chalk dragging technique described by Wendy on the TandaStamps forum - thanks for sharing, Wendy! Last night, I had an idea for adapting it to make vignettes. This is probably as old as the hills and I'm the last to catch on but I thought I'd share, just in case I've managed to come up with something that someone might find useful!



I stamped the flower group with green dye-based ink and chalked over the heads in various shades of purplish-pink and added dots to the centres with a copper gel pen. I cut an oval hole in a piece of scrap paper (I used an acrylic tearing template thing and cut round it with a scalpel) and added a reasonably generous amount of chalk to the edge of the hole with my finger. Then I just centred the oval cutout over the flower image and dragged the chalk in towards the centre to make a soft coloured 'frame'.

The card's finished just by matting the stamped image onto burgundy cardstock and adding organza ribbon and a stamped sentiment on a card circle. I added a line of copper gel pen around to add a bit more definition between the light and dark elements.

14 comments:

Sharon (glitterangel) said...

Lovely card, and a great idea.

Kathy said...

This is just beautiful Joanne

debby4000 said...

Popped over to your blog to be nosey to find a beautiful card.

mum-on-the-run said...

Great use of the technique Joanne, the card is gorgeous!!

Hazel said...

Thank you for sharing - a gorgeous card, Joanne

Unknown said...

Sooo pretty Joanne!

Jackie said...

That is really pretty Joanne. I love the 'technical' description :)

Alhambra Club said...

Lovely and elegant card,thanks for the technique tip

Di said...

Gorgeous card Joanne, love the technique you've used.

Swamp Tulip said...

Beautiful - stunning.

Teresa

Pattyjo said...

Awesome card! I really enjoyed your snowflake! You have inspired me to make some for Christmas decorations on the tree.

Debbie @ The Shabby Bungalow said...

Joanne - this card is truly beautiful - I love it

Your beaded snowflakes are stunning :-)

Debbie
xxxxx

Anonymous said...

stunning! skillful and good to see it here! Thanks!

Dollydimps said...

That's 2 of us who haven't used that technique before! You've made a great job of the card-the colours work perfectly together