Wednesday 5 May 2010

Thinking of you

A friend asked me to make a card for a friend of hers who is very ill - "Get well soon" was not going to be appropriate and something "a bit vintage" were my only guidelines. Bit tricky really but she seemed very pleased with the finished card and exclaimed that the music was perfect for her friend so that was a stroke of luck!

I do love my book of vintage sheet music. It was very tattered around the spine when I rescued it from the charity shop (goodwill store for my North American visitors). It was probably on the verge of being too delicate to be used on a music stand and flipped over while playing so I don't feel too guilty about chopping it up to use on papercrafting. If you're using old papers for projects like this, you do need to check how they take ink. For example, it takes a long time for Versafine to dry on this one so you need to leave well alone for a while after stamping otherwise you end up with a smudgy mess!

Stamps:
Fine Houndstooth Scrapblock (CHF)
Freesia (CHF)
Sentiment from Sweet Kids set (Clear Art Stamps by Crafty Secrets)

Paper:
Simply Smooth Vanilla
Simply Heavy Chocolate
Vintage sheet music

Ink:
Versafine by Tsukineko (Onyx Black)
Versacraft by Tsukineko (Sand)
Tim Holtz Distress by Ranger (Vintage Photo)

Other:
Memento markers (Lulu Lavender, Perfect Plum, Bamboo Leaves, Pear Tart)
Sewing machine and thread
Edge punch by Fiskars (Threading Water/Scalloped Lace)
Corner Chomper by We R Memory Keepers
Leafing pen by Krylon (Pale Gold)


Thanks for stopping by!

18 comments:

Effie said...

Lovely card.. I like the font.

Lesley Edmonds said...

Really striking! Lovely.
Lesley x

Unknown said...

I would be pleased too ... that is a lovely card ... great colour choice. I thought Effies comment said Love the front :0) Thought it was a bit odd LOL Don't tell anyone will you???

Karen said...

Sometimes 'get well soon' isn't appropriate is it but your Thinking of you is perfect Joanne. This a gorgeous card XXX

Anonymous said...

A perfect card to cheer the soul.

Kaz said...

That's a gorgeous card Joanne and fits well for the subject xxx

Darlene said...

I can totally understand why she was so thrilled with this beautiful work-of-art! Thanks for the tips on using old sheet music ... (don't have any but will certainly be keeping my eyes open).
I cased one of your creations the other day and posted it to my blog ... looks like this one is on my list now! BEAUTIFUL!

Unknown said...

Valerie who??? Like I wish ... I remember Valerie :0)

June said...

What a gorgeous card, so unusual too
hugs June xxx

Traceyr said...

Beautiful card Joanne.

:)

Sid said...

What a fab card, love the flowers on the background !

Kathy said...

That's a lovely card Joanne and you got the sentiment just right for the brief.

I came expecting your WOYWW but looks like we're to be disappointed yet again. ho hum

tracy said...

thats lovely joanne :)

Anonymous said...

A really beautiful card Joanne! xx

Deborah said...

Beautifully understated - and totally appropriate for a difficult occasion. I'm not surprised she was pleased with it.

LME said...

Very appropriate :)

Hazel said...

Love the way you've used the music - just right for the kind of card you were asked to make x

Carol Plume said...

totally gorgeous Joanne - loving what you're doing with the music book.

Have a good weekend.