Friday 7 March 2014

Experimenting with mono prints!

The Craft Stamper blog challenge has gone monthly so that means it's time for a new one!

This time we're using an acrylic block for mono printing (effectively using the block like a Gelli plate). I've resisted the lure of the Gelli, mostly because I suspected I'd make prints I liked and then my PPP (patterned paper problem) would kick in and I'd have no idea what to do with them.

When Trish told us what this month's challenge would be, I decided I'd have a go. Not sure if I set myself up for it but I proved myself right - made prints I liked and then couldn't use them! This is the attempt I'm happiest with.

I used Americana craft acrylic paints on the biggest acrylic block I own. If I remember rightly I did a layer of gold with plastic canvas pressed into it and lifted before taking a print, a layer of burnt umber and black with star masks scattered over and finally a layer of white with a piece of lace pressed in and lifted before taking the print (you can see the large diamond design of the lace as well as the overall texture if you let your eyes relax a bit!).

I've stamped a sentiment in one of the larger stars, some astronomy charts towards the bottom and then stamped and cut out a pointy finger to highlight the sentiment. The gold stars are punched from tomato paste tube metal (with the smaller punch I used when I made masks for the printed layer). A wee snippet of film strip ribbon seemed to tie it all together.

Not very typical for me but it was fun to get painty for a change! It may not be the perfect mono printing surface but the acrylic block made a good play surface if you're anything like me and just fancy a dabble!

Stamps:
Past Times by Hero Arts
Reach for the Stars by CHF (retired)

Other:
Large and small star squeeze punches by Fiskars
Lamp black, burnt umber and titanium white Americana acrylic paints by DecoArt
Dazzlong gold metallic acrylic paint by DecoArt
Tim Holtz Film Strip ribbon
Brilliance ink - Graphite Black
Tomato paste tube metal

As ever, there's the chance of a prize (lovely limited edition paints from PaperArtsy this time!) and of having your card in print in the magazine if you're the winner - we'd love to have you play along! All the details, including the deadline, can be found here.

9 comments:

Scrapmate said...

This is a fab background and the gold stars really make it pop. There are so many layers to this it holds your interest for a long time.

Kathy said...

Fantastic - love the grungy colour mix and all the texture you've managed to create. When you make cars like this I really wonder why you think you have a PPP - there's no problem that I can see

Karen said...

Love it Joanne!!!! I too have resisted the Gelli Plate -D For me this technique looks as good as really xxx

Renee said...

I love the recycled metal stars! I suffer from PPP too, this turned out great.

Ink Art Designs said...

Hi Joanne, the layers are so interesting and it is hard to look away. So creative!
Dot x

Tracy said...

Love how it turned out Joanne, I keep going back for another look!!
Tracy xxxx

Anonymous said...

Fab card Joanne and a great effect..x

Linda said...

This is stunning ..... so much going on. I love it!! x

Kaz said...

This is just gorgeous Joanne, I love it xxx